Fabulous super cool sleek red retro chairs by The General Fireproof Company, Ohio, USA. The chair orange was named the 40/4 because it could be stacked 40-high at a height of just four feet.
Designed in 1964 by David Rowland for GF furniture in Ohio. Constructed from a chrome plated solid steel frame and pressed seat and back rest these are very unusual pieces.
Perfect for a vintage or retro inspired dining room or retro kitchen.
We have a set of four rare authentic 60/70s retro dining chairs in their original condition.
The chairs were made by The General Fireproof Company, Youngstown, Ohio, USA and have a makers label and date stamp: 1968.
There are no obvious damage to any of the chairs and overall they are in good clean condition. There is some tarnishing to the chrome plating.
These chairs will look good in any period home or setting.
Retro dining chair size: W45cm x D45 x H80 (17.5" x 17.5" x 32") seat height: 46cm (18")
Due their size / weight we are unable to accept orders for chairs outside the UK. There is some light chipping of the varnish at the bottom of several of the chairs.
Our retro and vintage dining / school chairs are not new or made to look old. They may have small marks and scratches on them, which are consistent with their age and original use. We feel these add to their character and appeal. Please look at the photos to get an idea of their condition. For more information see our ethical policy for wooden furniture and wooden accessories.
The General Fireproofing Company (GF) was founded in 1902 in Youngstown, Ohio as a manufacturer of building materials. During the panic of 1907, when all building practically ceased, the company decided to emphasize their line steel office furniture. GF’s first 4-drawer steel vertical file was built in 1910, and their first fireproof safe was introduced in 1912.
In 1923 GF decided to produce a standardized steel desk which could be made on an assembly. This led to the introduction of the 1600 Series in 1925, which was produced well into the 1970’s. Starting in the 1950’s, these were the largest selling commerical office desks in the world.
The world’s first all-aluminum office chair was designed by the ALCOA company in 1924. In 1929 GF began manufacturing their own aluminum chairs, the first of which were shipped in 1930. These first chairs were copies of the wood office chairs popular at the time, and were even painted with woodgrain finishes.
The “Goodform” seating line began in August 1932 with the introduction of the Model #2123. Ten more models were introduced in 1935. The original Comfort Master executive office chair came out in 1937 and was redeisgned in 1939. Also in 1939, the institutional twin Models #4303 and #4304 were announced.
During World War II, GF ceased production of all its regular products in order to manufacture aircraft parts. After VJ Day, almost the entire plant had to be converted back to the manufacture of furniture, and by 1946 the company was producing the same volume they were in 1938. In 1948, GF introduced the Mode-Maker line of executive office desks, designed in collaboration with Raymond Loewy.
Many of GF’s furniture lines were discontinued in the 1970’s, and the original company went bankrupt in 1989 and was bought by TANG Industries of Gallatin, Tennessee.