Finding that Christmas gift that’s extra special and unique can be hard. Don’t worry we’re specialists at searching for and finding totally unique interiors and gifts. You can’t go wrong with a vintage jewellery box. We’re obsessed with stylish storage with original charm and character and there’s nothing we love more than sourcing the perfect vintage jewellery box. They come in all sorts of sizes, materials – wood and metal styles, colours – natural wood, blue, green and white and configurations – open, with lids, secret compartments. We’re experts in restoring original old jewellery boxes. Best of all going original does not have to break the bank. We stock many that are less than £40 and are still totally unique. Best of all there are so many boxes, chests and small loieces of furniture that with no effort can be used as a vintage jewellery box or chest.
Here are our top 10 choices of vintage jewellery boxes for men and women:
1. Clever Compact Jewellery Box – These ingenious boxes started out as barbers’ shaving boxes. Over 50 years ago barbers would have wandered the streets of north west India cutting hair and shaving men’s faces. They would have stored their scissors, straight razors, blades, oils and balms in these portable boxes. Each opens and folds out to reveal a mirror and small compartments. We have kept them in their found condition and just replaced the mirror and frame where they are damaged. Some have writing on their tops, handpainted pictures of birds and the occasionally their original moulded frame. They are not big, but could be used for your favourite ear-rings or pendants. Prices from around, £37.50.
2. The Old Money Box – Of course jewellery does not have to be kept in a box designed especially for rings, pendants, chains and ear-rings. This wooden money box that was used as a money box by a small market trader in India around 40 years ago. It has 2 money slots for coins. The lid opens to reveal four small and a larger lower compartments for a variety of jewellery. It has a lovely rustic look and feel. Rustic Teak Money Box £60:
3. The Perfect Vintage Jewellery Box – another money box with more compartments. This compact vintage jewellery box would be our top recommendation for a mens jewellery box. Reflecting the traditional style of woodcraft of the time, this chest would have been used by merchant families to store important document and deeds. Today this chest would make a striking jewellery box. With its lift-out trays, the chest would provide great storage and display compartments for all your treasures. We love time worn wood and it’s a characteristic that just cannot be replicated. It could be used a men’s vanity box for keeping: keys, coins, bracelets and all those other things that seem to come from men’s pockets. Price: £75.
4. Small Jewellery Box – We have a few of these compact old boxes that were used for storing spices. The base is made from a single block and the lid pivots to reveal a series of small holes large enough for rings, ear-rings and thin chains and pendants. This is a lovely antique square teak spice box sourced from Northern India. Scaramanga appreciates the rustic aesthetic, skilled craftsmanship and geometric form. This authentic item was once hand carved and lovely used giving it a unique shape, texture and history. Over time the piece has taken on a unique vintage patina that could never be copied.
See more old tikka spice boxesPrices from £15.
5. Treasure Chest – A top favourite of ours is this small very jewellery box with decorative moulded edges and small brass stras embedded into its top. The lid opens to reveal two compartments. A real gem of a treasure box. Looking like a mini treasure chest. It’s small so could be used for your favourite pieces of jewellery. It’s the only one of its kind we have, £95.
6. Secret Compartments – A grand storage box for pendants, chains, rings and ear-rings. would be this antique merchant’s storage chest. Originally used for storing paperwork, money and receipts, pens and ink. The small lidded compartments for ideal for jewelry. It even has a secret compartment for hiding those extra special treasures. An upper level tray is be lifted out to reveal a large lower level. This wooden jewellery chest has been made from solid teak, a durable tropical hardwood with a lovely grain and golden colour. Highly skilled master craftsmen made the chest around 70 years ago and each box is different. Vintage jewellery box, £135.
7. Japanese Jewellery box – A stunning Vintage Japanese Jewellery Box with a lovely golden-coloured grain pattern. Originally this was a sewing box for storing: needles, pins, threads, ribbons and scissors. Today it could be used as a jewellery box, a memory box, a stationary box or for keeping all those little things that just seem to clutter the tops of chests of drawers, desks and tables. Featuring 4 separate front-facing sliding drawers and an additional top-facing storage space accessed through an upper door. This is the established Japanese design configuration for this style of cabinet. Japanese Jewellery Box, £150
8. Old Brass Jewellery Box – Made from solid brass with an understated simple look with a top handle. They are quite small so could be used for those very specal pieces. The lid opens to reveal a small and large storage area, Now in Sale at £50, 50% OFF. Brass jewellery box. Old tarnished brass is set to be one of 2020’s interiors hot choices for the new year. Look out for aged brass with lighter and darker tones. Imperfect surfaces, dents and edges.
9. Go Big. Get Organised – original solid teak vintage printer’s tray salvaged from an old printing factory. Ok, so technically it’s not a vintage jewellery box. Create a feature of your jewellery and mix rings, pendants and mix them with vintage curios and finds such as keys and photos. You can hang trays on walls or lean them against a wall on top of a chest of drawers. We’ve left these as we found them doing no more than simply washing them with a little soapy water. At around 75cm they’re big and have dozens of different sized compartments. £45, see our vintage printer’s trays.
10. Perfectly Sized Jewellery Box – A mid sized vintage jewellery box with an assortment of compartments and a tray that lifts out ro reveal a lower compartment. A perfect jewelry box for men with an understated simple functional design. Like many of our boxes this chest was originally a money box and it has coin slots in the top. Its a simply chest made a golden teak. Price: £135 See the jewellery box
Of course we have many many more women’s and men’s vintage jewellery boxes, trays and chests. Each has been lovingly restored so it could be used in a very different way it was made for.
For the perfect vintage jewellery box look no further and visit our website here